Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bypass...

I know this isn't related to making a baby but it is significant in our lives so I thought it should be added to our journey. Mom had her bypass surgery Monday, 4/7 and she is doing well. It was such a relief when the Dr. came out and said they had finished. They weren't sure before they went in if they were going to do three or four grafts but they did have to do four. The Dr. said it was a little more difficult than normal because of the extent of her heart disease but that it was successful. She was able to come off the ventilator with no problems and has been a good sport about doing her breathing exercises. She is still on some IV meds that help her heart to squeeze better because it is pretty weak in general and now the trauma of surgery. They are weaning them and she should be able to go without them soon. She will stay at the hospital through the weekend and maybe go home Monday or Tuesday. I am really pleased with how she is doing and she is being very brave. She has had some wonderful nurses and RTs...it helps that they know my sister is a nurse at the same hospital and that I am an RT! I am sure they would be good to her regardless but it helps I think! My dad did really well all week, even when we saw her still on the ventilator. I was pleasantly surprised that he was as calm as he was all day the day of surgery. He is usually very restless and can't stand waiting all day for anything. It was a long day but at the same time it went by fast if that makes any sense. The whole week actually seemed to fly by. I am glad the worst part is over. Mom is working on getting her strength back so that might be the worst part for her but we are here to help her along the way.

0 Comments: